My department has a position available. For more information see the job vacancy: Senior Lecturer in Computer Science (A374-10M)
- Position: Senior Lecturer in Computer Science (A374-10M)
- Department: School of Engineering and Computer Science, Faculty of Engineering
- University: Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
Research and teach in a leading computer science group while working with Wellington’s exciting visual arts industry.
- Location: Kelburn Campus
- Term of Contract: Permanent (tenured
- Closing Date: 4 February 2011
We seek a Senior Lecturer with a proven ability to conduct research and assist with the development and teaching of an appropriate area of computer graphics. You will also be expected to contribute to the School’s computer science teaching.
The School is seeking to develop computer graphics within its existing programme in partnership with local industry, and the successful applicant will have the opportunity to work with local companies ranging from post production to games and new user interface technology.
- Purpose Statement: The role of the Senior Lecturer in Computer Science is to re-establish the teaching of computer graphics within computer science at Victoria. In the medium term the intent is to establish a first-class capability in computer graphics with an active research programme including significant collaboration with the School of Design and local companies such as Weta Digital, Sidhe Interactive and Unlimited Realities. The Senior Lecturer will be expected to teach and conduct research in an appropriate area or areas of graphics, with the academic rigour and relevance expected of the position. Specifically, the successful candidate will be expected to be able to teach aspects of graphics architecture, common libraries such OpenGL, the mathematics supporting 3D graphics, and a collection of basic graphics algorithms. The Senior Lecturer will also be expected to contribute to the School’s Computer Science teaching, particularly in C and C++ and/or first year computer science.
- Responsible To: Head of School, School of Engineering and Computer Science
- Key Accountability Areas: The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Establish a personal research programme that includes several masters and/or PhD research students and publications in internationally refereed journals and conferences.
- Pursue external resources in support of said research programme.
- Contribute to the School’s undergraduate and graduate teaching programme in Computer Science, ensuring that teaching is informed by research and courses are relevant and attractive to students.
- Develop and teach a “first” computer graphics course for computer science and software engineering students at the 300-level.
- Build a working relationship with several local companies that are consumers of graduates with graphics skills and/or graphics research.
- Contribute to the wider operation and development of the School and Faculty.
- Qualifications: A PhD or similar qualification in Computer Science or a closely related field with a strong emphasis on computer graphics.
- Attributes and Skills:
- The ability to develop and teach a first course in computer graphics.
- A high quality research and publications track record.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
For more information see the job vacancy: Senior Lecturer in Computer Science (A374-10M)