Call for Papers
Workshop on Aesthetic Data Visualization: Tools and Challenges for Interaction Designers at NordiCHI 2012
October 14th, 2012, Copenhagen, Denmark
Data visualization has been a big interest among interaction designers thanks to the advances of visualization authoring tools. With the tools including programming languages, visualization generation websites, and open source libraries, interaction designers can easily create data visualization harnessing their prototyping skills and aesthetic sensibility. However, there still exist some technical and methodological challenges for interaction designers in jumping into the scene.
At the workshop, we will discuss new roles of designers in this interdisciplinary field, and the ways of using and enhancing visualization tools to support designers. We encourage experts in the intersection of data visualization and interaction design to share their experiences in designing interactive visualizations in both industry and academic contexts.
- Paper submission deadline: Monday, August 6th, 2012
- Paper notification: Friday, August 24th, 2012
- Camera-ready submission: Friday, August 31st, 2012
- Workshop: Sunday, October 14th, 2012
Discussions in this workshop will include, but not limited to, following topics:
- Theories, models, and principles of design-oriented data visualization
- Aesthetic quality of interactive data visualization
- Survey of current tools for data visualization
- Current and envisioned roles of designers in visualization-related research collaboration.
- Case studies of data visualization by graphic, communication, or interaction designers, including descriptive design process and challenges faced
- Methods to teach data visualization to graphic or interaction design students
All submissions should follow CHI extended abstracts format 2 or 4 pages. All papers should be submitted via an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 6th. Submissions do NOT need to be anonymized.
For more information please visit the workshop web page at http://datavis.hkjung.com or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org